Friday, November 9, 2018

Quotes from Lit - Nov. 9

1. "Are you so severe upon your own sex as to doubt the possibility of all this?" - Darcy "I never saw such a woman. I never saw such capacity, and taste, and application, and elegance as you describe, united." -Elizabeth (37)
2. "In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." (180)

Abbie, Loi, Claire

"it is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife" (3)
Ashika, Vernadette, Faye

" You showed me how insufficient were all my pretensions to please a woman worthy of being pleased." (351)

"From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents--your mother will never see you again if you do not marry mr collins and I will never see you again if you do." (107)

"She is a selfish hypocritical women and I have no opinion of her" (6)

"Of neither Darcy nor Wickham could she think without feeling that she had been blind, partial, prejudice, absurd." (198)
Clare, Abby, Sarah, Hannah

"She is tolerable; but not handsome enough to tempt me…" (11)
"She is a selfish and hypocritical woman, and I have no opinion of her." (6)
"Yes, vanity is a weakness indeed. But pride where there is a real superiority of mind, pride will be always under good regulation." (54)
"If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject forever." (348)
"They arise chiefly from what is passing at the time, and though I sometimes amuse myself with suggesting and arranging such little elegant compliments as may be adapted to ordinary occasions, I always wish to give them as unstudied an air as possible." (65)
Kay, Kendra, Allie, Kiran




Discuss how Austen uses character as a vehicle to show _______________________ in the novel, Pride and Prejudice.


FISHBOWL CAPTAINS: Clare - Society's Rules

Kay - Gender Roles
Taff - Love Marriage and Family (Sam and Grace are in this group)


You may bring one double sided quote sheet to the in-class essay


For the Fishbowl:

Fishbowl - prepare thesis statements, questions, quotes and notes for the topics. Be prepared to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment